Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Thought...is Just A Thought

A thought is just a thought – it’s not reality. Just because you’re thinking something doesn’t mean it’s truth.  I used to think that my thoughts were me. Meaning, I used to think that everything I thought – everything that went on in my mind - was me. After all, I was the one thinking those things. My brain is coming up with all of this stuff; it’s coming out of me, so it must be ME. I never realized that thoughts are just that – concepts developed in the space in between your ears – sometimes random, sometimes untrue.

How many times have you ever thought, “I’m gonna slap you right up side your head!” But you didn’t do it, did you? You arrested that thought, pushed it aside and replaced it with a better thought – maybe something like, “Calm yourself down - that person is probably having a bad day. I’m gonna take the mature path and just let this pass."

Anything on God’s green earth can come into your mind, and just because it does, doesn’t mean it’s you. Just because you “thunk the thought” doesn’t mean it belongs to you. And more importantly, just because the thought popped into your head doesn’t mean you have to accept it and own it. By own it, I mean:
  • Think that thought again
  • Think even more about that thought
  • Lie down on your bed and meditate on that thought
  • Imagine how it would be if that thought were true
  • Add other similar thoughts to that thought
  • Begin vocalizing that thought (tell people about it)
  • Eventually, begin to act like that thought is reality

Soon you are walking around and living life as if that thought (that happened to pop into your mind) is a part of your life. Maybe it wasn’t supposed to be something that you were supposed to keep and accept as a part of you for the rest of your life. And that is most likely true – especially if the thought is a negative one. You have to "mind" your mind. Arrest each thought! Don’t give the bad ones (ones you know are wrong or don't want) permission to reside in one of your most valuable spaces - the space between your ears. Because it is definitely true – you are what you think. Don't become something you're not supposed to be. A thought is just a thought until you accept and make it your own.

For as he thinks in his heart; so is he (Proverbs 23:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Everything I Do Turns Out Wrong"

Anytime life’s frustrations cause your mindset to be “Everything I do is wrong” or “Nothing I do turns out like I want it to”, there may be ...